When an accident happens, the last thing you want to think about is how you’re going to pay the bills. Accident insurance helps you pay for the medical and out-of-pocket costs that you may have after an accidental injury. Based on your policy, this can include emergency treatment, hospital stays, medical exams and other expenses like transportation and lodging.
Accident insurance policies can provide you with a lump sum payable directly to you that will help pay for a wide range of situations, including initial care, surgery, transportation and lodging, and follow-up care. Here’s how it works:
- A set amount is payable based on the injury you suffer and the treatment you receive.
- Benefits are payable directly to you (unless you specify otherwise) and can be used as you see fit.
- Coverage is available for you, your spouse and eligible dependent children.
- You do not need to answer medical questions or have a physical exam to get basic coverage.
- Accident insurance covers injuries that happen on the job or off the job, unlike workers’ compensation, which only covers on-the-job injuries.
- Benefit payments are not reduced by any other insurance you may have with other companies.
Costs, eligibility and waiting periods before benefits are disbursed vary, so talk with your Colonial Life benefits counselor to learn more.