You can file a disability claim if you're experiencing a "total disability." Common illnesses and conditions that may lead to total disability include:
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Heart attacks
If you find yourself in this situation, we're here to help. Use these tips to guide you through the process of filing a disability claim.
Keep in mind that filing claims online and setting up direct deposit are the fastest ways to start receiving benefits. You also may print the forms and complete them by hand.
- Download the disability claim form if this is your first time filing for benefits or the continuing disability claim form if you’re submitting additional information for ongoing disability claims.
- For the fastest filing, fill out each section of the form on your computer. When you open the file, you’ll see gray boxes, which indicate areas where you can type your information.
- Review and complete the Optional Service Release Agreement. This section allows you to provide permission for Colonial Life to release information about your claim to individuals you designate, send claim payments by overnight delivery and make direct deposits into your bank account.
- Complete Section 1 in its entirety.
- Have your employer complete Section 2 in its entirety.
- Have your physician complete Section 3 in its entirety.
- Sign and date your claim form, and complete and sign the authorization page.
- Carefully review your forms to ensure all required sections are completed, including all areas where a signature and date are needed.
- If you were in an auto accident, gather a copy of the accident report.
- If you have additional hospital confinement coverage to help pay for hospitalization or surgery (regardless of the type of accident or illness), gather all itemized hospital bills (including bills from the physician, ambulance, emergency room, hospital, rehabilitation unit, etc.) and/or a copy of the operative report and diagnosis report from your physician.
- Submit your claim forms and documentation online by logging in to your account. If you don’t have an account, register here. This is the fastest way to start receiving benefits. You can file your claim, upload documentation for an existing claim, track the status of your claim and view other communication through your online account.
- Alternatively, you can fax your claim to 1-800-880-9325 or mail it to P.O. Box 100195, Columbia, SC 29202-3195.