COLUMBIA, S.C. (Jan. 21, 2020) — For the third year in a row, Colonial Life and its parent company, Unum Group, received a perfect 100 score on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index.
This is the largest national benchmarking tool that measures corporate policies and practices for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees.
Companies are ranked based on non-discrimination workplace protections, domestic partner benefits, transgender-inclusive health care benefits, competency programs and public engagement in the LGBTQ community.
Colonial Life and Unum resources for LGBTQ+ workers include:
• Domestic partner benefits for same-sex couples.
• Health care coverage for procedures related to gender transition.
• Equal opportunity employment and anti-harassment policies.
• Employee Resource Group focused on company-wide education and advocacy.
• Guidance for LGBTQ+ employees in their growth, development and wellbeing.
• Best practices on how to be allies for LGBTQ+ coworkers.
“It’s critical that our workforce is inclusive and supportive of all, and represents the diversity of our customers,” said Tim Arnold, president and CEO of Colonial Life, which employs a diverse population of more than 1,200 at its Columbia headquarters. “Inclusion is a journey, and the Corporate Equality Index is a good indicator that we’re on the right path in creating an environment of equality.”
About the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index:
Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index is the national benchmarking tool on corporate policies and practices pertinent to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees. For more information, visit www.hrc.org.